Friday 21 February 2014

THE AUDACITY OF HOPE by Barack Obama


This is the first such book on politics I have ever read. I must confess that I felt bored when I started the first chapter. This boredom didn't stem from a flaw in the book but rather from my inexperience with reading this genre. I am used to reading mysteries and other such stories by the likes of Sydney Sheldon and Mary Higgins Clark. Reading a political book is a completely different affair.

After using all my willpower to force myself beyond the first paragraphs, I began to enjoy the book. Not in the way that one enjoys fiction but in a way that makes facts enjoyable.

Some people argue that all lawyers and politicians are liars. I have no proof to verify or refute this claim. Regardless of if the book is based on lies or not, Obama presents facts; a lot of which can be verified (all you cynics). His outlook and manner makes it niggardly to assume that he might be lying(like some politicians do, e.g. one that has the initials of OB).

He presents his story and politics in a way a lot of people can relate to. Underlying the politics is the story of an ordinary family man who struggles through being ordinary to being a recognized advocate and representative of his people. A champion of their rights. It is an enlightening political book. Nonetheless, I warn you about occasional over the top political language. All in all I admire his efforts and his audaciousness.

Technically, where I come from, Obama is Kenyan. You are from your father's side foremost and above all, even regardless of the area you were born. Therefore, for a Kenyan to run for office in a US state legislature, Senate and ultimately for President shows an unprecedented level of audaciousness This I truly really extremely admire.

While many say he has had a pretty lucky race and run, I say he has had his audacious hope and corresponding effort blessed. It takes a great man to display the qualities inherent in him. Politics involves a lot of compromises and I hope he does not compromise on his core values

The passion with which he describes the situation of America and Americans, the plight of African Americans, the struggle of Latinos, the world outside America's borders, America's role in the international political order and other things, make all these issues more comprehensible to the average person.

I can write some political things I learnt and which I have developed into some sort of facts (or if you will not, theories) of my own. But I'll leave them for my own political/ current affairs book. (Audaciousness can run off on someone, can't it?). The only other book I have read on political / current affairs is a mere compilation of facts and world stories. So, his personal perspective on issues is an appreciated mundane expansive approach.

As always, I admire anyone who has the courage and resilience to write and publish a book, magazine or any  piece of writing. Cheers to the audaciousness of the American President. (Pass me a glass, will you?)

No comments:

Post a Comment