Wednesday 7 May 2014

I DO NOT COME TO YOU BY CHANCE by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani


This book…it could have been award-winning.  The characters are powerful, the plot is strong. The writing is not bad either. The wittiness is initially very amusing, but then she overdoes it. I can’t believe I am complaining of metaphors, analogies and jocose remarks but too much of them in any piece of writing passes off novice rays.

I don’t know. Maybe I should blame the editors. The middle of this story is lovely (with the lowest amount of wit). So the beginning which was good (save for the witticism) was pardonable at the middle. You do not regret reading it.

The end does not suffer from witticism. It suffers from okay conclusions. It was predictable. Don’t get me wrong a lot of great novels have predictable endings but they are written beautifully. It seems this end was just that, a conclusion. Not significantly touching or moving, like the story ended a few pages before that epilogue.

Now, as earlier stated, it has a great plot and is worth read. (Yeah, I think every book that was written deserves to be read.) But honestly, it does. It doesn’t come to you by chance : D. The middle bulk is very interesting and exciting, taking you on the trip into the lives of some fraudulent Nigerians who make money (a lot of it) from scamming foreigners and it can make the most decent person empathize with fraudsters.

Favourite character: Cash Daddy. I learnt some good stuff from the book.

Sorry for the harsh review, I just think this good book could have been better. Hopefully, her subsequent one, will be. Let me know what you think.
I look forward to reading her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment