Saturday 10 May 2014

THE BLACK MARBLE by Joseph Wambaugh


Andrushka!
Natasha!
Andrushka!
Natasha!

I read that part gleefully, imagining two extremely drunk people calling their names in Russian.

The book is something of a love story, ending happily. I'm wary of novels that don't end happily (Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche's Half of a Yellow Sun immediately comes to my mind). This book is basically about dogs; specifically a schnauzer gets dognapped and two seemingly odd cops try to get it back. Well, one cop tries. The other cop tries to get evidence that the first cop was mad. Ends up a happy love story with the two cops falling in love.

I love the wit of the author. It is a little old. Okay, not old. It was copyrighted in 1978. Somehow, I discovered a new copy in my house. Enjoyed the book. It has that special thing that makes you want to put aside other things until you are done reading it. Lovely plot with great characterization. Nice chapter heading and division. Powerful ending. Makes me want to learn the Russian language (something I've never really considered) just so I can listen to Russian songs and learn some exotic words.

I've decided to rename my husband "Andrushka", or maybe I'll be blessed enough to marry someone with that name. Where are the fine Russian men?

P.S.: To anyone who feels like he or she always picks the black marble, HEADS UP! There may yet be an Andrushka behind the gloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment